AXA (insurance) is warning drivers against pushing up voluntary excess levels in order to reduce premiums, after it was reported that many drivers simply cannot afford to make a claim if they have been involved in an accident.
Recent insurance price hikes and the effects of the recession on bank balances have meant that almost 50% of the population have less than £500 savings ready for a rainy day. However it is not all doom and gloom, you can stay ahead of the game and find out the top tips to beat the insurers in our exclusive guide:
- Shop around for the best deal –When renewing your car insurance you won’t be rewarded for loyalty- a few minutes research can save you hundreds of pounds on your annual premium.
- Compare policies –Remember policies can vary on more than just price so make sure you look at and compare policies to see exactly what you are getting for your money.
- Affordable excess –Although tempting to set a high voluntary excess to keep your annual premium low, AXA advise avoid doing this. It is better to set this at a level that you can afford to pay if you need to claim.
- Is it worth making a claim?Excess payment fees can sometimes mean that it is not worth claiming for low value damage. Independent car body repair specialists such as ChipsAway can offer minor repairs at lower prices than typical insurance excesses saving you the hassle and expense of making an insurance claim and losing your no claims bonus.
- (If you do need to claim) Get a fair price-Some insurers may try to get away with offering you a lower value for your car by quoting the trade price or by offering a general quote that does not take into account any regional variations. Stay ahead of the game by knowing how much it would cost you if you were to purchase a car of a similar make, model and age and check that the value offered matches this.
ChipsAway offer high quality car body repairs to minor damage such as scuffs, scrapes and scratches at a reasonable price. All repairs come with a lifetime guarantee and can be done at your workplace or home.
- ChipsAway pioneered the system to enable minor cosmetic repairs over 17 years ago.
- With over 350 specialists nationwide, ChipsAway are the largest repair network in the world.
- ChipsAway specialists are able to match any factory production colourworldwide.
- Our minor bodywork repairs are typically cheaper than your insurance excess.